Can (and should) you believe everything you’ve read or been told about web hosting?
The Answer is “no,” and here’s why:
1. Free Web Hosting – Is there such a thing as completely free web hosting? Well the answer is somewhat complicated. Sure, you could find web hosting services that provide free of charge web hosting but their services do come with a few restrictions and reservations:
- Annoying advertisements – Free web hosting providers will require users to incorporate intrusive pop-ups, ads and third-party banners on their websites in order to use their hosting services, completely free of charge. Users who are planning on building an online business or an eCommerce site could (and most probably would) find these advertisements an annoyance.
- Limited resources – Free web hosting services come with limited available resources (i.e. bandwidth and disk space). Users who are planning on hosting multiple-page websites featuring an abundance of design elements, content, banners, images and videos, would not find the allotted resources satisfactory.
- Few features – Free web hosting services will provide their users with a very limited selection of supplementary features. Consequently, users who are looking for auxiliary features such as email marketing software, SEO and traffic analysis tools and SQL databases, would do well to avoid free web hosting services.
- Limited technical support – It is a well-known fact that free web hosting services cut overhead by cutting down their in-house technical support representatives. As such, users who foresee a heavy dependency on technical support should choose alternative (paid for) web hosting services.
2. Unlimited Disk Space and Bandwidth – Unlimited bandwidth and disk space, do they exist? Well, not exactly. Though some web hosting providers will promise their users unlimited disk space and bandwidth, their fine print will never specify the exact amount of resources a user can use, and will state that content, video and images can be uploaded, but not all at one time, depending on the volume of upload. The amount of allocated resources in the cases of ‘unlimited disk space’ or ‘unlimited bandwidth’ is at the web host’s sole discretion.
3. All Web Hosting is the same – Are all web hosting services the same? A resonating “no.” You will find that there is a marked variation between web hosts, in price, offered features, allocated resources, quality of service and support, and the list goes on and on.
So, which is the best web hosting site? There’s no definite answer. The best web hosting site should be the web hosting service that best suits your, and your website’s, needs, as well as your budget, provides you with all of the hosting tools and features you require to host a successful site, and offers you around the clock technical support to ensure server uptime and complete data security.
4. Good Web Hosting is Expensive Web Hosting – Will I have to pay hundreds of dollars for good web hosting? Depends on your web hosting needs and your web hosting provider. Good web hosting doesn’t necessarily equal expensive hosting. Users who are perfectly satisfied with using Essential, Shared hosting, or more basic, cloud hosting packages, could pay as little as $0.99 for their web hosting. If, on the other hand, you require more advanced hosting capabilities and would need the services of VPS or Dedicated hosting, then yes, those particular hosting services can get a little costly.
5. Any Web Hosting Service Will Do – Will any web hosting service do for my website? That’s the biggest “no” I have issued to date. As we have already surmised, web hosts differ greatly in their offered features, cost and quality of services. So take the time to compare and contrast between the different web hosting services to find the one that gives answer to your hosting needs.